It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 18:14

Stronger Than Cancer Everything about cancer

constipation, bloating, early satiety

by Guest » 09 May 2017, 16:44

my aunt had been diagnosed with lung cancer metatesis right femur neck. She been feeling unwell and eat less for one months. She had been experiencing difficulties in passing motion. She always complaint full after eating a few bite of food. Anyway that can help her to eat better?

by stronger » 09 Jun 2017, 11:57

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your question re- constipation, bloating early satiety.

Mary, our Cancer Information Service Nurse has passed the question to me, the Society’s dietitian. I hope my answer below will be able to help your aunt’s current situation.

I’m sorry to hear that she is feeling unwell. The constipation and early satiety that your aunt is going through may be due to her cancer treatment or the cancer itself.

Here are some tips for her that may help her manage constipation and early satiety:
    • Consume small and frequent meals
    • Consume meals that are high in protein and high in calories when she feels like eating (examples include energy supplement drinks, milk, meat, eggs, oils, sauces and gravy)
    • Consume foods that are high in fibre such as whole grains, oats, fresh fruit and vegetables
    • If she is unable to consume too much fresh fruit and vegetables, consider juicing them but to include the pulp
    • Consume prunes or prune juice as a snack
    • Try to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day however, avoid drinking large amounts of water before a meal to reduce the feeling of early satiety
    • Consult her physician for treatment options for her constipation such as stool softeners and laxatives, and appetite stimulants for her loss of appetite

For more information, please contact me at 03- 2698 7300.
Chooing, Dietitian at National Cancer Society Malaysia
stronger
Site Admin

Return to Ask A Nurse

User Menu

Login